Thursday, February 07, 2008

Not for close minded people.

I am so upset right now, I (literally) feel like I'm going to throw up. This is why..THIS is why I hate politics and I don't get involved.

I just forced Mike into an hour long discussion of my disillusionment with our time. WILL THE NEXT REVOLUTIONARY PLEASE STAND UP!! And by revolutionary, I don't mean someone that's going to do a little on health care. I mean the next person that can see that we live in a sheep to the fold society and people follow whatever they're told and DON'T QUESTION AUTHORITY. I'm looking for the person that says "This works", and says it unabashedly to people that are conditioned by their political affiliations to agree or disagree.

Martin Luther King and John F. Kennedy keep coming to my mind as I think that they were dealing with a society of people that didn't think they way they did, and they were able to change ACTUAL THOUGHT, not just bills. They were revolutionary in that they actually changed the way our society viewed right and wrong. And it wasn't about their political views and it wasn't about their extreme situations...It was simply that they made sense and were't afraid to say it to a flock that never thought differently. I want that man. I want that woman. There has been no one in my lifetime that has done that.

I am so sick of following along in a society with politics that haven't been rethought since the 60's. These little tiny, minor changes are cute and pacifying. But there is a thought pattern on both sides (There! I! Said! It!) that lacks questioning. I am so over the Liberal that seems to agree with EVERY Democrat issue. I'm so over the Conserative that seems to agree with EVERY Republican stance. I'm so over people praising our so called revolutionary Michael Moore for literally "preaching to the choir". OF COURSE liberals are against war and guns. It's in their code of conduct. Now convince people to feel or think about something they're not supposed to. I'm over Bill O'Reily critizing gay marriage, singing directly to his mother. OF COURSE Republicans are against gay marriage. It's what they're supposed to think.

I am craving to speaker that brings me to tears. I'm begging the person that will lead us back to questioning authority (and I don't mean authority of the party we're not in). I want a liberal that's questioning the liberals. I want a conservative that's questioning the conservatives. Ideally, I want someone that questions both. So where is this independent, dynamic, likable individual that can acutally make things better and will make people THINK.

And if your pissed at me because this is what I think, it only goes to prove exactly my point.

5 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think the problem is necessarily the public-- the problem is the Party (Dem and Repub alike) I think a lot of people have complicated views that don't hew to one party or another, just like you do. I think the system has to change so the parties aren't so powerful and it's more about the ideas. Then we can get our visionary in power. But I have no idea how that actually will happen on a big level. So we, as little people, just need to chip away at our small part of the world, do what we can to make a difference within our own sphere.
-end rant-
jb

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger sabbeth said...

I agree...

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger sabbeth said...

with the end part of what you wrote. I think the problem is with an overly complacent public and a government that's trying to win votes by saying what they want to hear. Unfortunately, what they want to hear is everything *since* the last revolutionary. Just my 2 cents.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

I'm surprised you're not feeling more inspired by Obama. I really have found his speeches and debating technique to be really thoughtful, articulate, on point, compassionate, and even exhilarating. His story is a much more true American dream one than JFK.

He wanted to be president since he was a little, mixed race kid, being raised by a single mother. JFK was a rich boy who had everything handed to him, was kind of arrogant and morally unsound--he cheated on his wife so ruthlessly and unabashedly that there are even new reports of one of his 40-year-old love children living in Canada (Vanity Fair is working on this story with one of their top reporters...it's not a tabloid thing).

Also, I really think that the JFK world was a different world, if he were still alive, Catholic or no, JFK would have probably stayed liberal (much like his brother Teddy) and become pro-choice. The abortion question just really didn't exist back then. But do you honestly think a man who was sleeping with Marilyn Monroe on the side would have wanted her to have the baby?

Also, and I hate to keep going back to JFK...but his Daddy kind of bought him that election. It was Bobby who was the good one, the super-inspiring revolutionary one, I think, and I think you would've hated Bobby's ultra-liberal politics.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger sabbeth said...

I do feel inspired by Obama in a way and have felt behind him pretty much despite a forced apathy to politics. I know JFK probably would have become pro choice. I really think you're right. It's the concept of someone that everyone loved that was able to rally up the kind of support and world changing values he did -- supported by people. Having said that, I don't know much about Bobby Kennedy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home