Thursday, February 07, 2008

Bill Clinton was my favorite president

and he was because I loved the fact that I liked him. I loved his humor. I loved his candidness. I loved it when I quit my job and his plan covered my health care during the transition. I loved that he protected mothers who were pregnant from losing their jobs. I loved the funny videos he made of himself. I was really a fan of Clinton. But I'm a fan of JFK more. In fact, I believe there should be a JFK day. He was so revolutionary in what he was trying to do, that he was shot and killed most likely by his own government. I equate him in my mind to Martin Luther King. Only he could never be so forthright.

WARNING: POLITICAL ISSUES. ABORTION.
Having said that, my mother brought up the abortion issue when I mentioned that I was routing for Obama. I said "Mom. There's been a Republican in the white house for 8 years. What's really changed?" And my mom said "Partial Birth abortion changed".

So, this morning I looked it up. And I tried to find a page not covered in gruesome images, and I did, so I began reading this one .

And actually, partial birth abortion was something changed when Clinton was in office, but he vetoed it. There were enough votes the second round that he couldn't veto it again. And when I glanced at the diagrams (black and white sort of medical drawings) on the left, I shut the page down and realized I couldn't look at it, despite the fact that they're not really offensive comparitively. It's been 15 years since I've allowed myself to think about this issue. And now, I'm stuck.

First, this blog is not meant to cause a debate and everyone should believe what they believe, but if you don't understand what happens during partial birth abortion, please read about it. I don't know why this is a conservative/republican issue. I really believe anyone having any opinion should know what they believe intelligently and should not think in anyway because a party tells them too.

It seems so unfair! Why is it cool to be pro-choice? I just said to Mike "I have to vote for McCain. THIS IS SO UNFAIR. THIS SHOULD BE A LIBERAL ISSUE. LIBERALS ARE AGAINST KILLING. REPUBLICANS SHOULD BE WANTING TO CONTROL THE POPULATION. WHY IS THIS A REPUBLICAN ISSUE!!!" And I wonder sometimes, does everyone actually know what they're talking about? I mean, I can understand if someone is pro-choice for "this many weeks" or for "this kind of procedure" or "In this situation". But there are a lot of people that are pro-choice through the entire 9 months -- across the board. And to those of you reading who understand the details of all of it and still feel pro-choice, we just have a different opinion and I don't feel conflict because of it...because you know what you believe and why. But I know that fthere are other people that are doing exactly what I've done for so long when it comes to this issue. Just not thinking about the details. Avoiding understanding what's actually happening. And this is totally wrong.

I believe in life. Of all kinds. I don't believe in the death penalty. I don't believe in war. And above all, I don't believe abortion is right. AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO SAY IT despite the pro-choicers reading here and depite the fact that this is not a cool stance to take. I don't believe killing of any kind is right ever. Having said that, I am still more moderate. Things like The Day After Pill seem a lot less bad to me than other things. I really should make that Liberals Against Abortion website I always thought I should make.

As a mother that ADORES my 3 month old, I am totally distressed. I don't want to be an issue voter. I really like Obama. I think he is strong, intelligent, capable, intellectual. I believe in him. BUT, I think abortion is so incredibly wrong that someday it will be considered bizzare and unusually cruel. It is this issue (and a few others) that keep me dreaming of the Independent that will rise up from the ashes and will just do what he or she thinks is right, rather than what the party tells them to.

I long for the next JFK.

7 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think partial-birth abortion is horrible. I also think the methods by which animals are slaughtered for food is horrible. But I don't want to require another person to be a vegetarian, or to not have an abortion, b/c I think these are personal decisions. That's why I'm pro-choice.
(i know you don't want a debate, but i couldn't resist...i love you and totally respect your beliefs on this...jb)

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger sabbeth said...

Don't worry JB. There's no debate. Anyone that understands what happens and forms an opinion, whether matching or differing then mine, is good in my book. If anyone wants to say what they feel on this issue, go for it...I just don't want anyone telling me that I'm wrong for thinking the way I do.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger FH said...

Maybe this will help you feel better: Statistically, more abortions occur while Republica presidents are in office than Democrats because of social service funding cuts.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger FH said...

I consider myself part of the "consistent life" movement, so I am adamantly pro-life, yet I vote Dem because of those statistics.

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

on the same tip as Faith, I believe McCain voted against a bill that would have funded pregnancy prevention programs for teens.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger jennifer said...

In this last Republican regime, there have been tons of cut backs nationwide in sex education and teen birth control. If we want to lower the amount of abortions in this country, we have to teach people how not to get pregnant in the first place. And I just don't think religion is always enough.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger sabbeth said...

Thanks Faith...that possibly helps. I am going to think about this tonight.

And Jenn, your points are good too. I think education is at the root of everything and religion isn't enough (agreed).

I'm calmed down, but still consider myself in a very awkward position with all of this. For many things I am 'liberal'. For other things, I am 'conservative'. I keep my struggle with being an independent things at bay, because most of the people I've always known are very comfortable in the liberal and democratic sectors. So this was my "coming out" party.

-Elisabeth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home