Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Sleeping quarters of

truck cabs are something that I get obsessed with during long highway trips. I talk about them endlesly...the sizes, the colors and the set up.

It's something that happened when Mike and I took our first cross country trip and it continues whenever we're on the road for more than 2 hours. I can't visually reconcile the spacing of the sleeping quarters in those cabs. I compare them...I examine them...I think about how a bigger cab could be a "perk" to working for a certain company. I obsess about what happens inside of them. I pay attention to truck stops where there are a ton of parked trucks with people sleeping.

There's something about those cabs that feels a little like playing fort to me or camping out in my grandmother's backyard when we were little. I can just imagine hearing the rain on the metal, or having a little black and white TV and eating oatmeal. I've talked to Mike about it for hours.

I think it's an extension of my obsession with Winnebegos, but it's a little more fascinating because it's less based in luxury and more on survival. It's that lonely kind of life, with periodic interactions at truck stops and miniature versions of comfort.

4 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so now we know the reason behind Emmett's obsession with trucks! That cross-country trip you took while you were pregnant....
jb

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Mrs.Jim Halpert said...

My aunt and uncle have promised me their two vintage Airstreams, so if that ever pans out, I'll pick you up and we'll head out on the open road.

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Mrs.Jim Halpert said...

By the way, it's me, Ali.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i also love winnebegos. i think it stems from having one for my barbies when i was little. my friend billy just bought a used one and i am so siked.

i haven't thought much about truck cabs and i think the only time i ever saw one was in the show, BJ and the Bear.

shelley.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home