Saturday, September 08, 2007

It seems like all the shows I really liked

lasted between one and three years. (The New) You Asked For It went from 1981-1983. It was a great concept and a great show. The idea was to answer or investigate bizzare questions and ideas -- as requested by the audience. As an 8 year old girl, I wrote to the show and asked if they could find the original Annie from the first broadway play and if they could find out she was and what she was doing. I spent the whole day carefully handwriting the letter and walked it up to the mailbox, put it in, closed the lid and opened it again to see if it was actually gone. It was a big deal for me.

The night I sent the letter, I cried in my bed for over an hour realizing that if they ever answered my question on the show, I would never be able to see it because we didn't have a TV.

Now it seems so cool that my parents raised us for awhile without a TV, but has anyone noticed how much I bring it up? All these people with the "Kill Your Television" myspace response -- I can't help but to feel slightly irritated.

The incident above was the second time i was in my bed crying for hours feeling like I would miss something on TV. The first time, it was a show I was ON. The News came to our class and filmed us. I never saw it.

Can you imagine how it felt as a 7 year old in elementary school, when everyone cames into school with Burger King 3-D glasses? Can you imagine going to a friend's house, and you really don't want to play...you just want to watch TV? AND you feel like you're sneaking? It was like we were Amish, Audrey and I -- but especially me because I was older. Between that and us NOT BEING ALLOWED to sing Halloween songs* in music class, I am keenly aware of why I felt like a freak even as a little girl.

My parents did a good job of raising us and and we were far and away the most creative kids on our block. It had SOMETHING to do with not having a TV, but it wasn't without a price. When my grandmother finally gave my family a new TV (literally imposed it upon us), my parents made a rule of 2 shows (1 hour) a night. I think that makes a lot more sense.

*Imagine sitting in a circle with all the kids singing 3 little jack-o-lanterns sitting on a tree and YOU are the ONLY KID not singing because you aren't allowed

2 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger FH said...

I had a similar experience. I wasn't allowed to do ceramics because it was a graven image. We didn't have a Christmas tree because it was pagan. I couldn't watch Nightmare on Elmstreet. I never had any of the stuff my friends had and was clueless about pop culture. I always chalked it up to two things: My parents were Christians and were older parents. I would always say, "You're old fashioned" to them.

I feel glad that my parents didn't allow me to conform. I think it helped shape the independent spirit I have today. It's one of the few things I actually value about how I was raised.

As an adult, I can now make the decisions to buy things, watch movies, etc. One thing for sure is I don't do it due to peer pressure or to try to fit in to some mold.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think prohibiting TV is a good idea, but limiting it probably is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home