Tuesday, October 17, 2006

In my neighborhood


I know most of the moms. Every Thursday night, there's Soccer and all the mothers and all the toddlers trek up to the field and our kids, all 50 of them, sort of play soccer.

Last week, when I was there, I realized that (as I expected) the parents here are so different than they are in the country and that even the ones that look kindof normal appear so different with a city backdrop. But that's not what this is all about.

I was hanging with my crew of moms, the ones with 3 year old boys, and suddenly I saw the cool mom group. I never noticed them before. I never noticed they were cool, because they don't strike me when they're alone, but all together, they look cool. They're the moms that wear strange skirts with stockings, weird shoes and t-shirts. They're the moms with good short haircuts and unusual glasses. And they gravitate to each other.

I felt uncool all of the sudden. My group of moms is unassuming. They're all about their kids and the community. So I came home and told Phil that I felt sad like why wasn't I in the cool mom group. And outloud, I remembered that those moms all have little girls (and I have a boy). So I resolved it.

But I didn't really resolve it but just got over it because Emmett loves his friends and this is about him. And I really love the mothers I know.

On Monday, I met someone I don't really know because we're doing a flea market. And I sat with her in the cafe and all of the sudden, I was there with the cool moms. She is one and the other woman there was one. And I liked them. But I realized, as I did when I was 18, that I don't gravitate towards people because of how they look. And that these cool moms are totally cooler than I am, and i could hang out with them and probably will -- but I love the moms that aren't.

3 Comments:

At 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a cool mom.
i really mean that.
seriously one of the coolest ones i know.!

*I. G

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's probably not much difference in the cool vs. non-cool moms beyond the way they dress. some people just care more about appearance than others, and it's ok either way. just hang with the people you like and be proud of being the awesome mom and person you are.
-Jess

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger ctf said...

I think you have a point with the girls mom thing, too. They will be more apt to hang out if their kids do dance, and "girl stuff"... although you'd think that the sex thing wouldn't matter so much in play these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home