Monday, October 09, 2006

ADHD

Mike sent me a list of ADHD symptoms in adults. By the time I got to the end of the list, I (literally) welled up with tears. I had 18 of the symptoms listed.

I know I have ADHD. I refer to it in a funny way, but I'm realizing that it takes a lot of work for me to feel satisfied with "the trip" or to enjoy the present. I'm truly always searching for something extreme.

I saw a TV commercial once and it was of a TV flipping channels. It went on for about 15 seconds and then block text came on the bottom of the screen. It said: "Is this how you experience life". And I thought "Yes". It was a commercial for ADD and ADHD.

In order for me to acomplish something, I have to set a goal for myself that I can beat. I have to time myself or offer myself a reward. It's difficult for me to get started and in the course of an hour, I can get super excited about something, plan the whole thing out, but lose the steam necessary to do it. Even with this business. As into it as I am, it is hard for me to stay above the water. I have mentally done the whole thing and want to start the next project.

Last thing: Mike also sent me something that said caffine can cause symptoms of ADHD. i'm not going to post it on here because this post is already going to be long. It probably helps make it worse, but I know I have the basic problem. I also know I'm not on extreme worst of the scale. But as I look back on my previous posts, I feel like I live in a glass house.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Suggested Diagnostic Criteria for AD/HD in Adults
If you have exhibited at least twelve of the following behaviors since childhood and if these symptoms are not associated with any other medical or psychiatric condition, consider an evaluation by a team of AD/HD professionals.


1. A sense of underachievement, of not meeting one’s goals (regardless of how much one has actually accomplished).
2. Difficulty getting organized.
3. Chronic procrastination or trouble getting started.
4. Many projects going simultaneously; trouble with follow through.
5. A tendency to say what comes to mind without necessarily considering the timing or appropriateness of the remark.
6. A frequent search for high stimulation.
7. An intolerance of boredom.
8. Easy distractibility; trouble focusing attention, tendency to tune out or drift away in the middle of a page or conversation, often coupled with an inability to focus at times.
9. Often creative, intuitive, highly intelligent
10. Trouble in going through established channels and following “proper” procedure.
11. Impatient; low tolerance of frustration.
12. Impulsive, either verbally or in action, as an impulsive spending of money.
13. Changing plans, enacting new schemes or career plans and the like; hot-tempered.
14. A tendency to worry needlessly, endlessly; a tendency to scan the horizon looking for something to worry about, alternating with attention to or disregard for actual dangers.
15. A sense of insecurity.
16. Mood swings, mood lability, especially when disengaged from a person or a project.
17. Physical or cognitive restlessness.
18. A tendency toward addictive behavior.
19. Chronic problems with self-esteem.
20. Inaccurate self-observation.
21. Family history of AD/HD or manic depressive illness or depression or substance abuse or other disorders of impulse control or mood.


The Positive Aspects of AD/HD

Most descriptions of AD/HD focus on the negative aspects and neglect to mention the advantages to having AD/HD. They include:
* Creativity
* High Energy
* Intuitiveness
* Resourcefulness
* Tenacity
* Warm-heartedness
* Trusting Attitude (sometimes too much so)
* Forgiving attitude (sometimes too much so)
* Sensitivity
* Ability to take risks (sometimes too risky)
* Flexibility
* Loyalty
* Good sense of humor

1 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger sabbeth said...

Probably, but I'm afraid to change this part of myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home