Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I thought when we bought a house

totem
totem,
originally uploaded by sabbeth.
that it meant that we were automatically "in" with regard to helping the neighborhood and being involved. But it's the weirdest thing. There's a major hirearchy here and I keep forgetting it.

I thought my desire to help would be met with great reception, and it's not NOT being met with OK reception, but there are toes I have to be super careful of. It almost feels like I need permission to get involved in certain aspects of the community (specifically the park). It is so hard for me to get used to this.

The neighbors here are really great, don't get me wrong. But I am a newcomer and even as adults there's a certain sniffing out process that has to take place. I have to be just the right amount of quiet and talkative to be accepted. So far, it's going fine, but it's work and not work that I expected.

Thank God I found another bottom runger that wants to get involved and I'm meeting her today at the park which we so desperatly want to improve.

2 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger the fraeulein said...

I've noticed this, too. I think it's a South P h i ll y thing.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Love Hobo Chic said...

soon you will turn the tables...i know it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home