Sunday, May 22, 2005

Dead Birds

In less profound news, I keep meaning to write that I am very afraid of hitting animals while driving. It's a paranoia and, at night, I drive as slowly as is legally possible to ensure I don't hit anything. During the day, I am still uncomfortable with birds that fly over the road. This strange "hitting bird fear" started happening when I was pregnant and never stopped.

When driving, I find myself swerving to avoid them. At times, I feel they're playing daredevil games with "who can swoop closest to the car".

What usually happens is that a visual trick occurs. When I stop watching the road and focus on a (comparatively slow) bird, my depth perception goes awry and I think I'm going to hit the bird becuase I"m going so fast, even though it's not close enough.

Over the past 6 months, I've become unusually cautious.

A few months ago, I hit a bird.

2 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger ctf said...

I'm pretty sure I ran over a groundhogs tail the other day. I cried. I knew I hadn't killed it, but I'm pretty sure I injured it. Unless, it was just stunned...that would be the best case scenario.

Did you ever read/see Watership Down? I just had images from it going through my head.

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey elis,,, its me (the guest).
anyway, im concerned about your sad blogging lately, is everything okay? call me. *a

 

Post a Comment

<< Home