Sunday, May 22, 2005

Medication

is not an option for me. But I believe that most psychiatrists reading this blog would wholly support (if not encourage) some kind of anti-depressant to assist my depression.

This weekend, I have been thinking about medication and talking about medication with everyone about it. Here are some things I've decided:

If you're smart, you need medication. I believe that only the least intelligent people are dull enough not to be depressed, feel isolated, feel hurt and question the banality of this existence. If you are deep and you acknowledge this reality, you need medication according to the way things work now. Jessica and I believe that there must be a correlation between intelligence and antidepressants. And research has shown that depression is virtually nonexistent in retarded people.

Having said that

I think many antidepressants are administered for general depression, are done in haste and without warrant. Life IS hard, and part of living is the struggle of it. I believe sadness, pain, bitterness, isolation, confusion -- all these emotions we seek to gloss over with medication, are real, valid and important feelings. And, they lead us to a need for God.

I'm not saying medication isn't necessary. For many people, it is. I'm writing about the people like me out there. Functioning people that although deal with depression at times, are not incapacitated by it. These emotions contribute to my happiness as well as my understanding. And most importantly, in the borrows of my deepest sadness, I find God to be very real.

Lastly, medication directly defies the concept of psychology. Psychology, is an effort to connect a person with what he or she is feeling to deal head on with the "reality" of a persons life. Medication seems to cover it.

2 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger ctf said...

I get confused about mental depression vs. physical depression vs spiritual. I have very close family members who I believe have some chemical imbalances/gene issues related to their anxiety/depression. It can get very difficult for me to balance the theories between physical, mental spiritual and the balance. Balance seems to be the key...for some that may be relieved through meds, some counseling, others prayer and many all of the above. Those are my thoughts.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Love Hobo Chic said...

Great post! I think you are absolutley on target with this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home